wildweaselmi

1991 Chevy Blazer (K5)

Ok, not a great update.

Good News

power steering fixed

Bad News

Leaking seal on Xfer case for gear selector

xfer case vent leaking oil

So moved to a SYE by JB conversions a bit ago to help eliminate vibrations in the driveline which worked. Bad news is before the SYE the air build up could slip out the slip yoke seal if build up happens. Now it's sealed tight so the vent is now an escape for the transfer case oil. Moved to ATF since it's thinner than the Mobile Synthetic oil. An option was to put a thicker/wider vent tube or relocate the vent on the xfer case which is what we ended up doing. Moving the vent away from the chain hoping to still allow heat to escape and pressure out but keep oil in.

spacer had to be used by alternator since belt was being eaten.

will find out in about two weeks

Ok so we are now working.  Transfer case is no longer leaking.  Transmission was provided by one of Sammons contacts and it seems pretty good (just a little sluggish between shifts)..  Currently at Motor City Steel for an ignition upgrade and dyno tune on the Holly Terminator which they are certified to tune.

Hopefully next week I should be ready to go. Very excited to see what they can do

Got it back from Motor City Steel.  On a 1-5 rating I'm giving them a 3.  Some annoying facts about the company.

1. They never ever answer the phone

2. They are slow..  they promise one time and deliver many many days or weeks after.

Now why am I giving them a 3.  I believe they do good work.  Just be patient.  If you are in a rush stay away.  If they say a week count on a month.  If they say a month count on two months.  At least double whatever they quote you.  They are also a tad on the expensive side.

So I got it back and it runs pretty good.  I would say I'm at about 75% happy with how it runs.  The trans is still a tad sloppy and it stalls every once in awhile when you first start it and finally, the torque converter locks up and you wish it would of waited just a tad longer.

On another note, I found out finally how to remove the top on the 91 K5 since its different then the rest because its the only year that comes with seat belts that come down from the top.

Open the cover to the seatbelts there are 2 bolts that have to be removed. There's also a plate behind the drivers side seat. Open that and there is a plug in there for the light. Then all that is left is the bolts on the top itself. It is a safety torx They sell the bit at auto zone. It is a size 40. We had to buy the bit because a regular torx will not do it. The bolts have a solid center to them. So get a bit that has the center taken out of it to accomidate the solid center of the bolt. Other than that have someone there to help you gently lift the top off and back. We slid it down to the tailgate and carried it off from there.

Below is from a 75 but the cab and rails should be similar. The biggest difference is the seatbelts and electrical hookup for the light.

75topremoval.thumb.png.fdcd215925b084e737b2985e5653f5d4.png

Prepping for my drive to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes this weekend with some buddies.  I still have a trans leak (seems like its coming from the kick down cable but not positive). I checked the trans pan bolts and they are tightened to 12 ft lbs of torque like they should. Its currently got a cork gasket (which may get swapped for one of those nice FelPro gaskets) I just did my first oil change (put in 5w30 Royal Purple.. took 5qts) and used an AC Delco pf1218 oil filter. All joints I saw got some grease so ready to go.

large.large.IMG_2888.JPG.d2bd2ad9314f358a9c015682fd3dc29c.JPGlarge.large.IMG_2885.JPG.bb04207e0c3839607d127ddd7226e4e0.JPG

Went to the Mounds thanksgiving morning. Big to do here. Got pretty muddy which wasn’t my intention.

go pro wouldn’t stay fastened to windshield so didn’t get crap for video.

insane amount of people. Glad we got there early

EB78EC18-D77B-44F8-9A4A-8B142F09F344.jpeg

So fender issue is now much worse

8EE04C1B-283E-4224-AFE1-9195C7186A70.jpeg

4BB7213E-AF6E-45A3-994C-3A01BB581076.jpeg

not sure what the solution is. I see a lot of articles talking about either

A. Trimming fender (cutting the fender which takes away from the look but adds functionality)

B. Moving axle forward by 1 inch (this could also help with vibration in 4wheel drive due to the angle but could cause issues with high steer)

Wow, Kert at DIY4x responds pretty quick to online questions.  Seriously like less than 5minutes he also suggested moving the axle forward.  But how?

A. Drilling the Spring Perches

165F666B-1CE2-45B6-BB8E-E2D4BC6DFEFE.jpeg

8A69A608-7CD4-428D-B3EE-A4E6C144C85B.jpeg

7EFF1BBB-F68D-4FFF-AA43-98F8AE8936B7.jpeg

B. Easy Inch Kit

EEA87E22-0835-45B8-8E5B-06D3D0F33D4F.jpegPretty sure if I could move it just one inch forward I would be good but whats the best route?

for my lack of confidence I lean towards the easy inch kit which is a plate under your springs that will offset your axle forward roughly an Inch

So in regards to what I decided to do to fix my tires rubbing is nothing for the moment.  Instead I took the top off the Blazer (its 90+ degrees out) and learned you should never do this by yourself..  it was HEAVY.  Luckily I didn't break any of the custom glass windows in the hard top when I dropped it.. a couple times.

BUT luck ran out real quick when I discovered how bad the rust is that was hidden with the top on.

Let me upload some photos so you can feel my pain

17D92394-CB94-4D95-8208-D8B29F2683E4.jpeg

59334406-6CA7-4695-A3AF-4F8D411691EA.jpeg

E41AD24C-F904-4616-B9B3-5277FEC43320.jpeg

Just dropped the Blazer off at around 4:15pm today (5/30/2018) to get that rust repaired (estimate is $1100 - $2500 and two weeks)

MMC_Collision.png

112 State Street
Davison, MI 48423

Open: Mon. – Fri.  9 a.m. till 5 p.m.

810-412-4215

Let me tell ya its difficult to walk out into my garage and not see my Blazer there.  I wonder how often you can stop by and check on progress without becoming a pain in the ass.

Pretty sure I am going to just swing by today and see if they started on it.  Anxious to see the progress and how much metal is gone after they sand blast all the rust off.

Ok so I stopped by MMC to see if they had a chance to start working on the Blazer and to my surprise they have already started, so that's the good news.

Now the bad news is apparently TONS of rust.  As they are getting into it, they found it would be great to find a new skin they could just lay down but no one makes it for the Blazer (including LMC Truck) so they have to custom make everything.

Will keep you posted.

Just as a reference point, I did find some cool sites for auto body parts

91K5RoofPanels.png

https://www.autobodyspecialt.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=0111

This one shows only to 1986: http://www.goodmarkindustries.com/chevrolet-k5blazer-parts.aspx

RPS: http://restorationpartssource.com/store/K5 Blazer_1981_1991_Sheet_Metal_and_Body_Parts.htm

GM Discount Parts I always check because I love OEM but most of the time they don't have what I need but its a great place to get part numbers that you can search for on the internet

https://www.gmdiscountpartsnow.com/a/Chevrolet_1991_Blazer-Silverado-57L-Chevrolet-AT/_51505_6403488/ROOF--COMPONENTS-EXTERIOR-TRIM/GC1120.html

OEMcats is a great site for OEM parts: http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/355616.html

Car-Part.com is a great search of all junk yards in United States.  You can sort my closest since many don't ship big parts.

MMC collision in Davison did a fantastic job fixing the roof. Check out the after pictures here. It was around $2500 for all the work.  I’ll try and get pics when they were working on it. I may have them paint my blazer in the winter

98CCB8E2-D381-4EFF-863F-FFD4860F79AD.jpeg

AC87EFF4-70CA-4243-B7C7-0B9F2A513B68.jpeg

E948D302-9EB1-4924-A47E-B82616638BDE.jpeg

9EC34DE2-6448-4A92-89A4-AEE1F0581375.jpeg

F4DAFB5A-8498-4C23-9EB3-53D16C523207.jpeg

82425D90-2208-4A98-87BE-D3F2EE5F5DDD.jpeg

E5F5C49D-39A7-48E3-8F81-37576B2DB2A4.jpeg

755AD746-899E-48C6-A62A-9D464E9662E4.jpeg

9FEF2709-2122-4E8F-A9ED-6EB5E173EB12.jpeg

softopper.png

The 700R4 just isn't right so I brought the Blazer to someone my dad knows "Dan the Trans man" since he did such a fantastic job on getting my dads 40 tuned in (as far as Transmissions go).

After about two days he looked it over and several bolts were loose that hold the trans as well as the bolts on the pan.  But what worries me is when he drained the fluid he found a bunch of brass or copper shavings in the oil.  He said its more than likely from the torque converter (which I already blew up a torque converter that Frayleys Transmission put in).  Dan's estimate to rebuild it the way it should be built is about $2000 and he needs three days.

Going to table that for now and just drive it.  Dan also had to replace the governor. The green gear at the end was very worn out.  It drives pretty good now but I don't feel I have the 4th gear like I use to but could all be in my head.

It looks like I need to update my rear bumper.  The weight of a 37.5" tire is just too much for the Offroad Ltd Bumper.

A4EC3126-EEAD-416F-96E9-DA63127FE796.jpeg

So I am looking at what DIY4x offers for a rear bumper tire carrier and they have one option which is this bumper

swing down tire carrier 4.jpg

I like how durable it is but I have some minor issues in comparison.
CONS

1. I don't like the lights on angle, prefer them to be straight (silly I know)
  2. I love how the OffroadLtd Bumper had a place for my jack. Not sure how to work that in here
  3. Bummer for me is I can't have my tire cover anymore with this design.

PROS

1. No movement from bumper with weight of tire like there is with OffroadLtd Bumper
  2. Easy to get tire
  3. Way easier to get access to tailgate

So we'll see what happens.  Its all about money.

Changed Oil in my Blazer today. (325,288 miles)

5 quarts of Royal Purple 5w-30 (I have one more 5qt container then I'll probably move to Mobile One since it can be found everywhere and it performs as good if not better than Royal Purple)

Advance Auto didn't have my AC Delco PF25 Oil Filter so I went with a K&N HP 2002 filter (last time I get a K&N Filter and think I'll use FRAM next time)

Check out the Oil Filter Cross Reference site here

Ok need to update the "To Do List"

1. I have to figure out my HVAC and why not getting air movement. Pretty sure the duct work is messed up. Wish some of these after market companies just made replacement (rebuild kit)..  not Vintage Air.. had that in my cutlass and it totally sucked.
  2. Roll Cage (seems silly and very expensive but I won't go on some of these trails with my kids in the back without one.
  3. Custom Dash (make it more usable).  I was always trying to keep everything original, now I just want it functional
  4. Transmission. Yea, still fighting this battle. It's not horrible but I don't trust it after Dan the Trans man found copper shavings at the bottom of the trans pan...  he said more than likely the torque converter is going bad (again).
  5. Storage. I would like to add some sliding storage to the back so I can keep many of my supplies secured (especially when the top is off)
  6. Rear Bumper. Get a more functional heavy duty bumper that I can carry my spare without worrying about the weight of it ripping it off.
  7. Center Console. Need somewhere to keep all your loose papers, HAM Radio, etc.
  8. Rock Sliders (DIY4x)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.