This recipe goes great camping or just when you are craving a meal that warms you up. I cook it up for Super Bowl parties or when we go camping.
- 1 ¼ lb ground beef can substitute ground turkey
- 1 chopped large onion
- 1 diced large green pepper
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 can 16oz pork and beans undrained
- 1 can 16oz kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can 15oz garbanzo beans OR chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 3 bacon strips cooked and crumbled
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the onion, green pepper and garlic; cook until tender. Stir in all of the beans.
- Combine the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper; add to bean mixture and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish and top with crumbled bacon.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until heated through.