Smoke Salmon in BGE XL
- 1/2 cup Kosher Salt don't try any other salt, it turns out very bad
- 2 cloves Garlic Chopped or Minced
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Ginger Freshly Grated
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Leaves Bay Leaves Crumbled
- 1 Salmon Prefer Wild Caught Alaska Salmon
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Spread a lot on both sides of the filet (I typically cut the salmon in half for two filets)
- Wrap each salmon filet in Saran Wrap and place in a glass container (I use a 6x9 casserole container but you can use whatever) and place in refrigerator for 8 hours (more you go past 8 hours the more salty it will taste regardless on how much you wash the brine off later).
- Remove the filets and wash off all that brine you put on extremely well with cold tap water. You may want to to wash it twice, if you have any brine on there still the salmon will be two salty. (As noted above, if you left the brine on more than 8-10hrs its going to be salty)
- Place the filet in the cleaned out glass container and put back in the fridge uncovered for 3 hours to make the salmon tacky to the touch.
- Get your BGE going with a nice slow smoke (no more than 200 but it turns out better at a lower smoke like 150). I usually throw some Hickory wood chunks in which should be soaked in water prior to using them but I have used the hickory chunks of wood without soaking them and it still turns out. I should also note that I put the coals in the middle of the grill so when I put the salmon on, I put on the outside part of the grill so its not direct heat.
- Now the salmon should be tacky to the touch and ready to be put on the grill. I oil the grate with Olive oil so the salmon doesn't stick.