Maps

• Posted by cowboy on May 3, 2024 at 12:07 pm

The best maps in Michigan are vvmapping without a doubt but since they only work on GPS units it comes into issues since many of us don’t have or want to carry a seperate GPS unit and want to utilize our phones.

I know for myself, I’m driving an ATV on the Leota Trail system due to the many 50″ trails and not really a spot to carry my phone (which provides music, directions and intercom with my wife and anyone else in our group… well up to 8 people which is all the Sena Mesh system said it can handle). So GPS unit is out for us which means I’m sad to say I can not use vvmapping.

GAIAgps is great for many many things to include planning your route out online and downloading it to you phone or tablet. Whats also great is you can record it to a universally acceptable formated gpx file and share with others which I’m a huge fan of. BUT the negative is I am not seeing many of the Michigan trails on the maps in GAIA (this could be due to I’m not an expert on GAIA)

onXOffroad is amazing when it comes to everything offroad. They have spent a ton of time gathering trails and added information. I’m actually blown away with the amount of information you can pull from onXOffroad. They also offer the ability to view and plot out your map online and then download it your phone. BUT the negative is, there is no ability to export to a universally accepted gpx file. Its very much locked down to just use there app and not everyone has onXOffroad and mainly because its so darn expensive.

So whats the answer? Thats really up to you. I do have papermaps from vvmapping which are nice to look at and plan when sitting on the couch watching some TV. I use google maps to locate areas of interest around the area (like food and fuel). As far as the offroad GPS I’m on the fence. I want to record the route with GAIA but I love everything about OnXOffroad besides the lack of ability to record the trip and export it to a gpx file.

After this weekend I’ll possibly have a better answer.

cowboy replied 2 weeks, 1 day ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.